The Henry J was an American car worked by the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation and named after its administrator, Henry J. Kaiser. Creation of six-chamber models started in July 1950, and four-chamber generation began soon after Labor Day, 1950. Official open presentation was September 28, 1950. The vehicle was promoted through 1954.
The Henry J was the possibility of Henry J. Kaiser, who looked to build offers of his Kaiser car line by including a vehicle that could be manufactured economically and along these lines reasonable for the normal American in a similar vein that Henry Ford delivered the Model T. The objective was to pull in “less well-off purchasers who could just manage the cost of a trade-in vehicle” and the endeavor turned into a spearheading American minimized vehicle.
To fund the project, the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation got a government advance in 1949. This financing indicated different points of interest of the vehicle. Kaiser-Frazer would resolve to plan a vehicle that in its base structure retailed (counting government expense and retail conveyance arrangement charge) for close to $1,300.00 (US$13,538 in 2018 dollars. It was to situate at any rate five grown-ups, be fit for going in any event 50 miles for each hour (80 km/h) for supported timeframes, and accessible for retail deal no later than September 30, 1950.
To achieve this, the Henry J was intended to convey the least potential segments, and worked from the least number of parts. To spare body stepping costs, early Henry Js did not have back trunk tops; proprietors needed to get to the storage compartment by collapsing down the back seat. Another cost-sparing measure was to offer the vehicle just as a two-entryway car with fixed back windows. Additionally ailing in the fundamental form were glove compartment, armrests, traveler side inside sun visor and course through ventilation.
Power for the Henry J was conveyed by a 134.2 cu in (2.2 L) four-chamber 68 hp (51 kW; 69 PS) motor. Later models were accessible with a 161 cu in (2.6 L) L-head six-chamber motor creating 80 hp (60 kW; 81 PS) .The motors were provided by Willys-Overland; the four-chamber motor was a similar motor utilized in the CJ-3A arrangement Jeeps, with just slight changes to segment parts; the square and inside segments were compatible with the CJ-3A motor. The Henry J generation gave a significant income source to Willys-Overland.This standard motor could accomplish up to 35 mpg‑US (6.7 L/100 km; 42 mpg‑imp) when driven moderately.
Before the Henry J was discharged to the market the main generation models were taken to Arkansas for street testing. Specialists registered that traveling 100 miles (161 km) on the most unpleasant streets would rise to 5,000 miles (8,047 km) of ordinary driving